Wednesday 9 January 2013

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams, Pisces Iscariot, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (Deluxe Version).



More than twenty years have passed, and I still haven't gotten over these guys (and a gal) with their second album, The Siamese Dream (1993), the collected b-sides, Pisces Iscarus (1994) and double album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995). Those were the times. College days. Long discarded, the cassettes format of these albums were played ceaselessly 'till the tapes themselves worn out. I never did replace them with any CDs version. The famous singles never need to be replaced. A box set got it covered. Its the un-discovered jewels packed amongst the song lists which I really miss. I never got their debut, Gish (1991) and probably won't. But the Lull LP (1991) from a second hand shop gave me taste, and that's fine enough. I am still personally divided over Corgan's whiny, high pitch voice. And I can't really place their songs in any specific category. Some are simply beautiful, lush and breezy. Others grabs me by the throat with its walls of feedback guitars, thumping bass and monstrous drumming. Re-listening to these three re-issued albums, memories from those years came back to me. The aeroplane flies high, turn left, looks right...

No comments:

Post a Comment