Tuesday 8 March 2016

Casio G-Shock - MTG-S1000V-1ADR.








I have the opportunity to own a couple of G-Shocks by Casio over the past but never really cares about the functionality and the legendary durability it comes with other than it can tell me time, it is good enough. I didn't even know what the "G" stands for? Great Shock? Good Shock? So until now, upon reading up on G-Shocks in general, it is the acronym for Gravitational Shock. Wot? And the first Gees came out in '83. Legend has it that its creator, an engineer by the name of Kikuo Ibe, in a fit of frustration, thrown out a prototype known only as "DW-X" from the toilet window ten stories high on the ground below. A car ran over it, a lorry ran over it and it was over. Or so Ibe thought. On the way home, Ibe's face turned pale as the watch was there, intact in all its glorious glory. It was ten o'clock at night and Ibe was standing 10 feet away. The watch then suddenly glowed with greenish illumination from within its blocky looking, squarish encasing.  Ibe picked it up and suddenly...well, to cut things short because I am running out of idea, the G-Shock is born. It is my own fictionalised story of course but Ibe-San is real and from his idea, hither comes G-Shock, a wrist watch which is targeted at a market audience with an active lifestyle. Solar panels for rechargeable battery power (although there are versions with standard battery), water resistance, shock proof, grenade proof, just kidding, and etc. Over the past three decades, G-Shock became more entrenched into fashion accessories rather than what it is meant for. Plastic and affordable but darn it, incredibly reliable and never leaves you empty and go searching for a battery replacement (although the battery itself still needs to be replaced eventually). It becomes a collectibles and become more and more exotic. Try getting an all black GX-56-1B known as "The King". I am G-Shocked by the asking price. Including the latest one I gave an arm for, the MTG-S1000V-1ADR (for international market, in Japan domestic market it is model 1AJF). MTG stands for Metal Twisted Gees. Fully made in their Yamagata factory instead of Thailand assembly. Which means premium, like their Mr. G line. And comes with various technical specs which I am too lazy to lay it on here. Go search. Anyhoo, this is the watch which caught my eyes the moment I was looking into the current Gees. It has this aged, worn out finishing, much like some of my 1/6th toys, and stealth grey-ish in colour. And it goes well with its design. Why this? Well honestly my holy grail of watch is not a Patek Phillippe nor Rolex nor Breitling nor Panerai nor IWC (Indah Water Consortium, hahaha) nor Bell & Ross. It is simply a Cabestan Nostromo watch. And it costs 150,000 Swiss Francs. And within a sea of many, many great horology brands out there from costing millions to a Petaling Street triple A grade rip off, this watch to me stands close yet far from the Cabestan Nostromo, with the balance for casual or business wear. I can't really wear a standard G-Shocks with office attire. Kind of look..funky. Until I strikes lotto, I may go for the holy grail if I could find one and the rest of the famous brands would be purchased too but as complimentary partner. Till then, this will do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment