Tuesday 8 March 2016

Saddleback Leather - Classic Briefcase.











Stumbled across Saddleback Leather while googling for uh, saddle leather. Had a look into the leather products they offered and read up about them, which is quite interesting, albeit in an off tangent way. I did some research into them via casting a net across the uh, Net and reviews are mixed pertaining to their leather goods. Very polarised. Either they like it or hate it. Most of the negativity comes generally from their earlier offerings which based on what I read on feedback forums, posters found the goods quality not in tandem with what was offered. This was when the company was still a one man enterprise operating out of Mexico. However, later reviews are more positive although the owner, Dave (one helluva guy from watching his videos), still courted controversy with his less than conventional approach to marketing and communicating with end customers. I would like to imagine him as the Ashley Wood (3A) of leather goods. But they are very pleasant people. When I decided to go for the Classic Briefcase in Dark Coffee Brown colour, my purchase couldn't go through. When the email wasn't responded, I called them straight from here over to Texas and they promptly replied in a very courteous manner, checked and advised me that the country I am residing in is not available for shipping. Bummer. But they suggested that I purchase via Amazon which I did. 
The bag arrived quite fast but held by custom due to the price and weight. So I had to drive all the way to the old Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT, which is now closed), near Sepang to the Custom Office. As I opened up the box before the custom officer as usual for inspection to ensure it is not something out of "The Anarchy Cookbook", both of us are taken aback by the beauty of this briefcase. And the size. Mary, the Mother of God...this bag is huge. The custom officer asked if this were for me and am I going for a backpack trip. Still reeling from the shock of the seeing the size, I forced a smile and said yes. I had a feeling the Custom Officer wanted to tell me that I could fit inside the briefcase. And I wanted to tell him no, this is not a backpack but a briefcase. Then off I went, paid the custom at the counter and immediately went straight home. Now here's the tricky part. How do I pass the barrier that are me Mom and wife? Like any large sized toys, I left it in the car until they are well into dreamland at night, as I went to the car and stealthily, cat-like, took the carton into the house, into the room. 
And I had a better view of the briefcase this time 'round. Full grain leather, with suede side pigskin lining inner as reinforcement, including the flap (unlike earlier version, which I prefer more). It is ginormous and weighty. But nice. No so called "markings" (which courted Saddleback's owner a lot of debates and controversy) which they leave on the leather. Lucky me. Because honestly, regardless of what is said, if the "markings" are serious enough, and left on end products, I still believe it would inherently damaged the leather. And this would not be fair towards the end customers. There are numerous D rings, and inside could swallow up all my stuffs to work and more. Maybe I didn't really pay attention to the sizing chart (yes, they are courteous enough to have a sizing chart to generally match up the suitable size of the goods vs height). The leather used is really thick, and very rugged with that heavenly leathery smell. The only problem I have is the familiarising meself with the 3 straps enclosure. I have problem opening and closing it with one hand, particularly the middle strap. More practise I guess. Anyhoo, is this the last briefcase I ever get? You betcha. Can it outlive me and pass on to my kids? Probably would. Would it soften down and gets beautiful patina? Time shall tell. 
Before I forget, I also purchased it together with a set of three leather caring, maintenance products. Read line number four and five. Which is again, reminds me of a company from another industry, well, what else, 3A of course, "Armstrong loves stale muffin" or "1/sexth scale" etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment