Tuesday 25 June 2013

Southeast Asian Haze 2013.


Hear the salvation army band
Down by the riverside, it's bound to be a better ride
Than what you've got planned
Carry your cup in your hand
And look around, leaves are brown now
And the sky is a hazy shade of winter
- Hazy Shade of Winter, Simon and Garfunkel.


It's '97 and '06 all over again. And no. It is definitely not hazy shade of winter. Although it seems like a scene from winter. Or from Silent Hill. Instead it is choking air, lingering burning smell and extremely humid, hot temperature. Demand of N95 surgical masks outstrip supply resulting in flippers jacking up the prices. I love BBQ but I ain't no BBQ or smoked salmon for that matter. Or being smoked alive. Even for someone who smokes nearly a pack a day, ergo the nickname Chugginton by friends and close customers alike. I definitely do not want to be a human satay. I have had enough pollution within my blood stream to kill me several times over. But if I die due to nicotine, tars and what other cancer inducing stuffs they put into the sticks, it is due to my addiction and weak will. My f***up choice. But this.  This is not my choice. This ain't no "act of God" kind of situation either, like some volcanos erupting somewhere. The backyard BBQ party is happening coz some tits are burning the palm oil plantations and/or carrying out some "slash and burn" activities in one of the neighbours. Today alone at least eight walk ins wanted air purifiers from the shop. Alas, all sold out and supplier stocked out. Darn. The API spiked up to a near record 700+ in the southern state (800+ in '97, the mother of all hazes), resulting in the PM declaring a state of emergency over the south last weekend. Based on what I read, any API readings above 50 is moderate, above 100 is unhealthy, above 200 is very unhealthy, above 300 is hazardous. As I type this, the ever presence lingering burning smell is again, slowly permeating the entire household. I worried for my family. Darn, gonna git that only display set air purifier left in the shop back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment